apr-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Gutmans <a...@zend.com>
Subject Re: Memory manager
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:01:09 GMT
At 11:34 AM 6/25/2002 -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:07:22PM +0300, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> > I won't cc: the apr dev group because it'll just clutter their list :)
>Heh. Well, I trimmed out some, and am taking one point to the list.
> > At 03:09 AM 6/25/2002 -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > >Sander mentioned something about "reaps". I remember that coming up a
> while
> > >back, but am not super clear on it. IIRC, it was a synthesis of pools and
> > >being able to individually free items. Probably something right along the
> > >lines of what you're looking for.
> >
> > If you guys feel this works better for you then great!
>My point is that (IIRC) "reaps" are essentially what you are building. There
>is some actual academic research on their use. You might find that useful
>for your own work.
>Further, that we would want to look at your work and compare that with the
>"reap" information, and bring that into APR.
>The post about reaps is here:

I read the reaps article. I didn't quite understand how they actually code
their heaps and therefore it's hard to understand how fast it really is.
My approach is actually similar to theirs (pools with free) and they even
mention this kind of approach. I created pools which are internally managed
similar to Doug Lea style.
Do these guys make their code available someplace?

View raw message