apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Apache/Mingw Build Hackathon 19:00Z Jul 1 @ #apr
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:18:12 GMT
At 09:20 AM 6/25/2002, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>Hi again Bill,
>
>At 22:51 19.06.2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>If we could set up an evening next week or over the weekend, perhaps we have
>>an informal Win32/mingw hackathon on irc://irc.openprojects.net/ #apr channel
>>to trade ideas with anyone interested in attacking this, and turn around
>>working
>>1.3 and 2.0 build methods.
>>
>>The problem with mingw has been the lack of libtool/autoconf/automake/m4
>>support, but I'm hoping to hear that the situation has improved over time :)
>
>So when should we do this? From thursday evening (CET time :) tothe 4th of
>July I'm free most of the time. Then it's summer vacation :)

Ok... CDT[US] here, so I'm 7 hours behind you.  If we said, say, 1:00 here,
that's
8p.m. out by you and those PDT folks who are interested could join at
11am.  Guess
that would make about 19:00-20:00 Zulu a pretty good hour.

Anyone interested in Mingw hacking is welcome to join us on
irc.openprojects.net
#apr channel.

My daytime is somewhat limited this week, with bughunting and work related
coding deadlines.  Monday next week should work great..

>Anyway, I've been looking into the subject a little when I have had the
>time: for me it seems like the most reasonable approach would be to forget
>the libtool things, as it's still imperfect :( but rather treat Mingw GCC
>as just another windows compiler, and port the win32 makefiles to that.
>This is the path taken in Perl which has very good Mingw support IMO. I've
>just been looking at why Perl uses dmake as opposed to nmake for the Mingw
>build before trying to modify the makefiles to any extent. (on another
>note, my nmake downloaded from an MS site complains when looking at the
>Apache makefiles.. the '::'s seem to be bugging it.. weird).

I'd suggest a quick trip through the makefiles using .awk.  The question
is, which
makefiles?  I've considered for a while just creating a simplified [some
comment
notation] structure and script to populate makefile's from
makefile.in's.  Or populate
project files for VisualStudio, or whatever other IDEs folks want to plug in.

Is gnu make ported to mingw as well?  If so, this intersects neatly with some
work related research deadlines I have coming up :-)

The right attack is probably to get apr building independent of everything
else, then roll onto apr-util (trivial) and httpd (not as trivial).  But
apr/build
is sort of the new cornerstone of the build system, since httpd borrows
much of it's decision making from apr who already ran or collected most
m4/autoconf variables.  We might just need to create some .gw* stubs
out there for 'generic windows', e.g. bcc or gcc.

>Anyway, as Mingw exposes the Win32 API and links to MSVCRT.DLL I think the
>win32 code should be able to run cleanly. Or atleast hope so :)

And that is the hope :-)  Worst case: a recent PSDK to get the headers we
need.  But the other question is; can gnu c help us with __declspec() syntax
or will we need to punt some exports?  Brian Havard and Jeff Trawick did some
great work on that for their respective platforms, I suspect we can borrow
liberally here, if we need to set up our exports in that manner.

Bill