apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: PHP profiling results under 2.0.37 Re: Performance of Apache 2.0 Filter
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:41:21 GMT
At 04:08 AM 6/8/2002, Andi Gutmans wrote:

>I just checked and it seems like Apache APR memory pools use mutex locking.
>It'd be better to use functions like the Win32 ones which don't use mutex
>locking (as we made sure that only one thread allocates from its pool).
>This could be achieved by compiling apr_pools.c without APR_HAS_THREADS
>but I bet the default Apache 2 build has this enabled.

It's still pretty much a non-issue.  Although we've discussed thread-specific
allocators [that don't lock for allocation at all] win32 uses
CriticalSections by
default, which adds 10 cpu instructions or so to obtain an uncontested mutex.

This probably would hurt Unix, so you might be interested in apr_pools
discussion of the apr_allocator approaches.  All these low-level discussions
are on APR, so I'm directing this discussion to that platform.

Nice to see another library leaning on APR [or at least, the Zend deployment
for PHP/Apache :-]

Bill