apr-dev mailing list archives

From Emery Berger <em...@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject Re: Memory manager
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:01:20 GMT
Andi Gutmans wrote:
> I read the reaps article. I didn't quite understand how they actually
> code their heaps and therefore it's hard to understand how fast it
> really is.
> My approach is actually similar to theirs (pools with free) and they
> even mention this kind of approach. I created pools which are internally
> managed similar to Doug Lea style.
> Do these guys make their code available someplace?

We (I) will. The camera-ready copy has to go to OOPSLA in about two
weeks, and I'll make the code available. I've also revised the text, and
I think that the explanation of how reaps work is better.

You might want to look at our "Composing High-Performance Memory
Allocators" paper, in PLDI 2001 and available from my web page, for more
details on how the Heap Layers infrastructure works (I built reaps using
this infrastructure).

Regards,
-- Emery

--
Emery Berger
Assistant Professor (starting Fall 2002)