apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: apr_time_t --> apr_time_usec_t
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:38:45 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I am tired of seeing this stupid change to the semantics of time_t
> under Unix continue to cause bugs in every project that uses APR.
> apr_time_t must be in seconds.  If folks want APR to keep time in
> microseconds, then they had bloody well change the type name
> accordingly.

+1.  I'm tired of taking the perfomance hit of
64-bit divisions on 32-bit CPUs to retrieve the
time_t.

In order to fix it, though, we'd really need to change
the implementation in some way that breaks old code at
compile time.  Otherwise, if apr_time_t remains a 64-bit
int but its meaning changes by a factor of a million, lots
of bugs in people's APR-based apps aren't going to show up
until runtime.

> I know of one existing bug in httpd that I would consider a
> showstopper, if I were RM, due to the way APR handles time.
> In order to fix it, I am going to need to reinstate handling
> of time in seconds, even if that means abandoning APR's routines.

Don't keep us in suspense...what's the bug?!  :-)

--Brian