apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Breaking something? Now is the time?
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:13:53 GMT
On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:11:09PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> I want to break something: binary compatibility for the pool API.
>
> This has been on my list for a long time, but I haven't yet had
> time to implement it.
>
> What I'm thinking of is the following:
>
> * Preface the apr_pool_t structure with a set of function
>   pointers for the pool's "methods": alloc, free, destroy,
>   create subpool, etc.

Sounds like SMS.  We could never overcome speed limitations and we
always seemed to place blame on the function pointers as the reason
why the SMS performance wasn't as good as pools.

I'd want to see performance metrics saying that we aren't going to
see a massive performance decrease with this.  -- justin