apr-dev mailing list archives

From Thom May <t...@planetarytramp.net>
Subject Re: Only ONE back-compat hole discovered.
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:18:23 GMT
* Justin Erenkrantz (jerenkrantz@apache.org) wrote :
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 09:42:12AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> > The options on this are:
> >
> <snip, snip, snip>
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> 5) Do nothing as APR isn't released yet.
>
> Personally, I don't care about backwards compatibility until
> we hit 1.0 of APR.  However, the fact that so much of APR has
> stayed the same probably means that we can jump to 1.0.
>
> Anyone feel lucky?  httpd-2.0 has gone GA for a bit and SVN
> is about to hit alpha.  Not to mention flood's now been ported
> to Win32.  So, if there's something really wrong with the APR
> API, we haven't seen it yet.  And, if there is something really
> wrong, well, that's what APR 2.0 is for.  -- justin

hrrm. I'm a fairly strong -1 on bumping apr to 1.0 at this point -
we need to get the API consistent and clean, otherwise we're
stuck with it for far too long
On the flip side, yes, it would be great to get APR to 1.0 as soon as
possible.
I just don't think it's there yet.
Cheers,
-Thom
--
Thom May -> thom@planetarytramp.net

> > "we can tell that a Debian release is about to happen".  Or
> > something.
> "I sense a disturbance in the force" ?
"As though millions of voices cried out, and ran apt-get."
-dburrows, davidw, aj; Debian 3.0