apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Memory manager
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:34:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:07:22PM +0300, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> I won't cc: the apr dev group because it'll just clutter their list :)

Heh. Well, I trimmed out some, and am taking one point to the list.

> At 03:09 AM 6/25/2002 -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> >Sander mentioned something about "reaps". I remember that coming up a while
> >back, but am not super clear on it. IIRC, it was a synthesis of pools and
> >being able to individually free items. Probably something right along the
> >lines of what you're looking for.
>
> If you guys feel this works better for you then great!

My point is that (IIRC) "reaps" are essentially what you are building. There
is some actual academic research on their use. You might find that useful
for your own work.

Further, that we would want to look at your work and compare that with the
"reap" information, and bring that into APR.

The post about reaps is here:

    http://www.apachelabs.org/apr-mbox/200203.mbox/%3C000501c1d6c6$84935000$ef801942@ristretto%3E

> As I mentioned I thought this memory manager could be helpful for certain
> projects using APR. I thought it should be an additional optional pool type
> as different apps and different developers have different needs.

You bet.

Cheers,
-g

--