apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: Packaging/version question
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:16:17 GMT
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:08:11PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:56:25PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> > Hi folks.  For creating binary packages of APR and APR-util, would it be
> > acceptable to use package versions of "0.9" until an official APR
> > release is made, since I've seen talk of the first release being "1.0"?
>
> FWIW, I think the SVN Linux and FreeBSD packages use the date rather
> than a version number for its bundled APR and APR-util.  I would
> recommend doing that rather than placing a bogus version number on it
> that the ASF would be expected to support.

at least for the FreeBSD package it does, i'm not sure about the linux
one.

> Now, if we decide that we want to start moving towards releasing
> APR on our own, that's a different story.  However, before doing
> so, we'd have to resolve all of the compat/versioning stuff.  And,
> wrowe just made that task harder with his recent commits to add
> backwards compat for APR to the httpd 2.0.35 release.  We'd have
> to revert all of that before releasing APR on its own.  -- justin

it would be very nice to see apr move towards a stable release of its
own.  speaking as the person who has tried to find a way to make the
freebsd apache2 and subversion ports use the same apr, it's been
virtually impossible to date, and i think having a separate release of
apr that other packages could target, rather than everyone just
shipping their own, would be a very good thing.

i realize that this is a bit of a change for the apache developers,
who are not used to being tied to something like this for thier
releases, but if we want apr to be used by other programs (and i
personally do want that), then it's a step that needs to be taken, and
sooner rather than later in my opinion.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes