apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr CHANGES configure.in
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 23:21:06 GMT
On 28 May 2002 jwoolley@apache.org wrote:

> jwoolley    02/05/28 16:15:10
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES configure.in
>   Log:
>   Added --with-devrandom=[DEV] configure flag which allows a particular
>   "/dev/random"-compatible device to be specified, overriding the
>   default search path (/dev/random then /dev/arandom then /dev/urandom).
>   Also, if --with-egd=<path> is specified, it now implies
>   --without-devrandom.

Okay, Ben, I believe this patch implements what you've said you prefer,
and it makes a lot of sense to me as well.  Here's what we have now:

1) If --with-egd=<path> is specified, --without-devrandom is assumed
   and the EGD socket is used as the source of entropy.

2) Otherwise, if --with-devrandom=<DEV> is specified with a particular
   device, that device is used as the source of entropy.

3) Otherwise, if --with-devrandom (with no =<DEV>) is specified or
   --with-devrandom is not specified at all, we search
      /dev/random
      /dev/arandom
      /dev/urandom
   in that order.

4) If the search in #3 fails, we try looking for the truerand library.

5) If none of the above is usable, we have no source of entropy.

Does that sound right?

--Cliff