apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: /dev/urandom vs /dev/random [was Re: 2.0.36 hangs on linux on startup]
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 16:14:16 GMT
On Mon, 27 May 2002, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hmmm. Well, IMO it should be configurable at runtime, especially since
> some other OSes have yet more sources of entropy (/dev/arandom for
> example).

Oh good, that matches the patch I've been working on.  I'll post it in a
little while.  PS: is /dev/arandom common enough for us to add it to the
list of devices we search for automatically without having to specify
--with-devrandom=<device> [that's a new configure flag my patch will add,
btw]?  If so, how should the search be ordered?

/dev/random
/dev/arandom
/dev/urandom

??  Or should /dev/arandom go before /dev/random or what?

--Cliff