apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: /dev/urandom vs /dev/random [was Re: 2.0.36 hangs on linux on startup]
Date Sun, 26 May 2002 17:31:38 GMT
On Sun, 26 May 2002, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > What about a --with-devrandom=<path> option for people who do want to go
> > the /dev/urandom route?

I'm starting to prefer this option I think.

> Surely its configurable anyway? Changing the default strikes me as
> something that will bite you if you aren't careful!

Nope.  Currently /dev/random is strictly preferred over /dev/urandom which
is strictly preferred over EGD over truerand.  I'd think if the user asks
for EGD, we should ignore /dev/random even if it exists.  And if the user
asks for /dev/urandom or /some/other/device, we should prefer that over
/dev/random even if it exists.  I'm not sure how truerand should fit in,
since it's currently just tested for as a last resort and not specifically
requested by the user.

--Cliff