apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: can we require libtool 1.4 ?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 18:13:05 GMT
On Tue, 14 May 2002, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > PHP seems to require a magic combination of versions for libtool,
> > autoconf, and automake that allow it to build properly, and can on
> > occasion freak out if you don't have the right combo (Cliff, what is
> > up with your slackware?).
>
>     Most likely a broken vendor installation of at least one
>     involved tool.  Reinstalling from ftp.gnu.org will usually
>     cure this.  Ensure that existing instances of the tool are
>     nuked properly from the system before the new installation
>     takes place.

They were not vendor-installed, I did it myself.  I've never had any
trouble with them except for PHP.  Anyway, I don't know that this
problem would affect any other project using the following versions of
autoconf, automake, and libtool... I think it's a bug in PHP (probably in
the configure script where main/internal_functions.c is supposed to get
generated).  So sorry in advance for the PHP-esque message on the APR
list, but just in case anyone's interested:

root@deepthought:/root/apache/php4# ./buildconf
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.50 (ok)
buildconf: automake version 1.4-p4 (ok)
buildconf: libtool version 1.4 (ok)

root@deepthought:/root/apache/php4# cat config.nice
#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

'./configure' \
'--enable-debug' \
'--with-apxs2=/root/apache/test/bin/apxs' \
'--with-openssldir=/usr' \
'--with-zlib=/usr' \
'--with-bz2=/usr' \
'--with-gdbm=/usr' \
'--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' \
'--with-png-dir=/usr' \
'--with-freetype-dir=/usr/X11R6' \
'--with-ttf=/usr/X11R6' \
"$@"

root@deepthought:/root/apache/php4# make >/dev/null
make: *** No rule to make target `main/internal_functions.c', needed by
`main/internal_functions.lo'.  Stop.

main/internal_functions.c was never generated.  Now at least it would get
built by the Makefile if it *did* exist, which is more than used to
happen.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com