apr-dev mailing list archives

From Karsten Paige Huneycutt <...@duke.edu>
Subject RE: Local sockets
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 04:01:45 GMT

Hello --

According to the API posted in

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:50:07 -0800
From: Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org>

(which is the last mention I can find in the dev@apr.apache.org archives),
the apr_spipe_t looks _great_ for parent-child IPC, but is in no way meant
to serve the same function that local sockets serve.  Instead, it seems to
replace/augment pipe(...), not socket(AF_LOCAL, SOCK_STREAM, 0).  There is
no way I can see to get one of the apr_spipe_t's returned from
apr_spipe_create accessible in another process, save for a fork/exec.  As
I mentioned, the application I'm re-writing does NOT communicate with
children, but rather, with entirely unrelated processes.

If apr_spipe_t has been extended to include this sort of functionality,
could the API be posted again?

Thanks!

KH

--
Karsten Huneycutt                  A casual stroll through a lunatic
kph@duke.edu                          asylum shows that faith does not