apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache for PalmOS
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 15:36:35 GMT
http://www.apacheweek.com/features/apachepda/

was an april fools joke.  What isn't a joke is that Apache is based on APR,
the Apache Portability Runtime.  That library isolates 90% of the pain of
porting Apache to another platform (currently many Unicies, Netware, OS2
and Windows 9x and NT families.)  Much of the porting work is done, but
still being reviewed, for the WinCE environment.

If you actually cared to start the PalmOS port, see
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/
for submission and contributor guidelines, and the fairly sparse information
at http://apr.apache.org/.  Once APR support is complete, it's a matter of
adjusting an MPM module in Apache to appropriately support the architecture.

I suspect both PalmOS and WinCE fall down in the event-based model.
Perhaps a new MPM can be cobbled to provide lightweight non-preemptive
support.

Anyways, we are interested in what page you discovered that bore no hint
of the joke.

Bill