apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.36 hangs on linux on startup
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 04:03:45 GMT
On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 08:24:04PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> IIRC, /dev/random is a "better" source of entropy than /dev/urandom
> because /dev/random can block waiting for good enough bits gathered
> from the system while /dev/urandom must always spit out something, so
> its entropy isn't guaranteed to be as good.

You're correct, but it's the blocking part that's the problem here.
I'm not sure how much entropy is required by mod_auth_digest, but
something tells me that we need to do one of the following:

1) prefer /dev/urandom over /dev/random
2) disable mod_auth_digest by default [in binbuilds]
3) open /dev/random in non-blocking mode and defer EAGAIN reads
   until later (read it at startup; if it would block, try again when
   the entropy is actually needed, failing if it isn't ready by then
     -- no idea if this would even work).

-aaron