apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Local sockets
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 03:57:30 GMT
On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:38:01PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Aaron is actually in the middle of creating a stream pipe API for APR.
> This will use Unix Domain Sockets on Unix, and pipes on Windows.  While
> APR requires Unix Domain Sockets, they must be done the right way.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that Windows has support for at least simple
data-passing over AF_UNIX/AF_LOCAL sockets, but I'm not sure if it has
the ability to pass file descriptors over those sockets.  The ability to
pass file descriptors *and* data is necessary to implement the spipe API
that I posted a month or two ago (and which I'd like to commit as soon
as I have it working on Unix). I've been assured that we'll be able to
implement the spipe API under Windows with something like named pipes,
but it sounds to me like we either need to support both APIs (domain
sockets and spipes) or we need to come up with a way to unify the APIs.

Questions for the Windows gurus:

- Can AF_UNIX/AF_LOCAL sockets be used to pass other descriptors?
- Would it be possible to implement the full AF_UNIX/AF_LOCAL-family socket
  functionality on Windows using something like named pipes?

If it interests anyone, I can post a set of features that I think will
be necessary for implementation of a domain socket in APR.

-aaron