apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/strings apr_cpystrn.c
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 22:57:41 GMT
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:38:27PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> We have an callback for pool functions, often set to NULL, but none the less
> we need to check or the segfault may occur in a less than obvious point.

It will fail right off the bat as we memcpy() the old string into the new.
So it will be quite obvious in this case :-)

> I'm not sure how the pool malloc failure callback works into this, or any other
> non-pool function.  Perhaps we need a global malloc failure callback?
> We simply don't need to check the results of apr_fooalloc because this callback
> must have handled the condition.

Here is a much simpler answer: simply nuke the strdup() replacement.

Why do we need to supply strdup() ? We never use it. It isn't "our problem".
We encourage people to use pools, not to use strdup() and other malloc-based

Torch it and resolve the question immediately.

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message