apr-dev mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: can we require libtool 1.4 ?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 15:15:18 GMT
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 07:45:37AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 12:44:33AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > libtool 1.3 has problems with intra-library dependencies. This is making
> > some of the dependency stuff in apr(-util) a bit more complicated than it
> > needs to be.
> >
> > The simple answer is to require libtool 1.4.
>
> Are there any platforms do _not_ support libtool 1.4 or have problems
> with it?

The FreeBSD ports tree doesn't yet support libtool 1.4 (it's an
interdependency nightmare, since so many ports currently require
'libtool', but really require 'libtool 1.3', and until you flip the
switch it's impossible to tell which ones they are), but there is
no problem with just installing it yourself.  Requiring 1.4 means that
anyone developing on FreeBSD will have to install a custom libtool,
which is irritating, but not a show stopper.  It will create some
problems with the way the current FreeBSD port of apr works, but
nothing unsolvable (i think).

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes