apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject making apr_global_mutex more efficient on more platforms
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 17:41:23 GMT
Yesterday I fixed a previous OS/390 optimization and added
optimizations for Darwin and AIX to avoid getting an intraprocess
mutex when possible for apr_global_mutex operations.

Here is some info on other platforms along with the cross-process
mutex operations that are also global.  I haven't had a chance to make
sure that it remains valid across various versions of those systems.

(I've omitted mention of proc_pthread since that is implicitly
global.)

                              mechanisms with global scope supported
platform                      by APR
---------------               --------------------------------------
linux 2.2.19                  fcntl
Solaris 8                     sysvsem, posixsem
Tru64 5                       sysvsem
HP-UX 11                      sysvsem

apr/test/testmutexscope displays this information for the platform you
run it on and also verifies that we haven't mistakenly optimized
global mutexes on the current platform.

If folks could verify that the above info holds across releases (e.g.,
Linux 2.0.x, Linux 2.4.x, Solaris 2.6, etc.), then at least one of us
would feel more comfortable about making use of the information.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...