apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: shm* equivalents (Was: Re: libapr* ...)
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 16:42:43 GMT
On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:20:45PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> This I understand, and it isn't a problem, since the only processes
> accessing 'shared memory' are child processes from the parent that
> originally creates it ...

If you're not going to support mapping of this segment by external
processes, then you don't even need to define a filename. Simply call
apr_shm_create() w/ a NULL filename and you will get anonymous shared
memory. On Unix this segment will be automatically inherited by child
processes, and on Win32 there is even some non-portable trickery you
can do to pass the map metainformation around so it looks like it was
inherited.

I took great care to document the interface calls in the apr_shm.h
file. Let me know if you have any other questions or if something
in there is unclear.

-aaron