apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject Symbol renames
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 22:07:02 GMT

Symbol renames in APR are going to cause a problem for the web server.
Apache 2.0.36 is using the same major MMN as 2.0.35, but it isn't
compatible, because apr_explode_time was removed (as a single example,
there are more).  We need to have some way to fix these problems.

My opinion would be that symbol renames stop becoming macros.  Instead,
the function is renamed, and a new function is added that wraps the old
function.  This is EXACTLY what Greg wrote in his doc earlier today.

Also, the apr_compat.h file should be removed now.  Any further compat
macros need to be put in the same file as the original function/macro.
If we use the apr_compat.h header, then we haven't made things backwards
compatible, because they need to add the new header to their source
file.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom                  rbb@covalent.net
645 Howard St.              rbb@apache.org