apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr-util/include apr_buckets.h
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 21:08:02 GMT
> From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:jwoolley@virginia.edu]
>
> On 31 May 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:
>
> > rbb         2002/05/31 13:51:20
> >
> >   Modified:    buckets  apr_buckets_eos.c apr_buckets_file.c
> >                         apr_buckets_flush.c apr_buckets_heap.c
> >                         apr_buckets_mmap.c apr_buckets_pipe.c
> >                         apr_buckets_pool.c apr_buckets_socket.c
> >                include  apr_buckets.h
> >   Log:
> >   Make buckets advertise if they are filled with metadata or not.
> >   Long-term, we most likely want to extend this so that buckets can
have
> >   more states than just "data" or "metadata".  For now, this is
enough.

> I'd much rather see this flag be in the apr_bucket_type_t than in the
> apr_bucket.  As it is now, not only is it one more thing to have to
set at
> runtime, we'll now have to worry about making sure it's set right if
we
> want to morph.

I considered that, but I am actually thinking of the future, where there
are different types of data.  For example, when we want to send the
headers down the filter stack as a part of the brigade, that is metadata
and should be marked as such.  However, the headers are likely to be in
HEAP buckets, which means that the metadata flag really has to be in the
bucket itself, not the bucket_type.

Ryan