apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: atomics on solaris producing non-portable binaries
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:14:19 GMT
Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org> writes:

> For example, I have a build of APR from an Ultra5 running Solaris 5.6
> that produces sparcv8plus binaries. These binaries do not work on an
> older SparcStation5 machine that is running Solaris 5.7.

I'm glad somebody else noticed this :)  I had the fear that somebody
would put the atomic stuff all over Apache and then our build machine
for Solaris binaries caught on fire and had to be replaced with
something new and then we had screaming customers as soon as they
picked up a new build.

> Is there still a way we can (automatically) produce atomics code while
> preserving backward compatibility? At least we should be portable based
> on OS rev (eg. Solaris 5.6 builds of APR should run on every 5.6
> machine out there).

I don't know about automatic, but maybe some flag is needed to specify
the architecture level we should enable?

So if you want a binary build for 2.6 and above, on sparc7 and above,
then you build on 2.6 and pass the --with-cpu=sparc7 flag to configure
and it doesn't matter if you're building on the latest and greatest
CPU.  Is that workable?  I guess if you want brain-dead atomic stuff
you could say --with-cpu=generic.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...