apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/locks/unix crossproc.c locks.c proc_mutex.c
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:04:46 GMT
Aaron Bannert <aaron@clove.org> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 03:39:41PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > "sem_open("/ApR.whatever", O_CREAT, 0644,1)" returns ENOSYS on Linux
> > (2.2.12 kernel).  I'll try to add an autoconf check for that.
> >
> > Beyond the issue mentioned above, why is a new lock mechanism
> > suddenly so high in the priority list?  Aren't we throwing away a lot
> > of past experience (1.3 and 2.0)?
>
> Posix semaphores appear to be the only non-filesystem-based way to
> get cross-process mutexes on Darwin. We're looking for a performance
> boost above fcntl/flock.

You should hard-code posix semaphores for Darwin in apr_hints.m4.  We
should not be playing around with the lock choice and affecting
multiple systems when we get specific platform knowledge we want to
exploit.  apr_hints.m4 is for that specific platform knowledge.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...