apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: How bullet proof ?
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:07:18 GMT
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dave Hill wrote:

> My first inclination was to think "what a bonehead thing to do", my
> second inclination was that maybe apr should protect me from myself a
> bit more....
> -or-
> Wouldn't it make sense for me just to check my arguments be for calling
> apr :-)

APR typically takes this last approach.  :)  We hardly ever validate
inputs (especially if the result is an immediate segfault, because we
think it makes it easier to debug that way, plus we think it's pointless
overhead to be constantly checking things that shouldn't happen in correct
code).  When we do validate inputs, it's typically because some condition
could happen that is either difficult to detect in the caller or that
would cause odd behavior that would be difficult to debug.

--Cliff