apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: Unix missing fd 0..2, Win32 service missing stdin/out/err handles
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:38:25 GMT
> As I described, it would be possible for a user to close those
> descriptors before doing something like say, opening an SDBM.  If
> they then try to _write_ to those (via something like write() to
> stderr), then that is a programming error which we should not be
> trying to solve.

    Not necessarily.  The daemon might use a third-party library
    which writes diagnostic messages to stderr (something like
    Oracle's libs).  Or even worse, the user might be running the
    application on FreeBSD where malloc(3) writes messages to
    stderr, if configured to do so.  There are probably more
    cases where this can happen which the app's author cannot
    influence.  Supplying module authors with a function which
    addresses this issue makes sense from that perspective.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg