apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: what's the portable temp dir?
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:44:00 GMT
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Any chance APR will handle a portable apr_get_temp_dir function? (which
>>returns the existing writable temp path) which then could be used to
>>create a template wanted by apr_file_mktemp().
>

> Oh, man, would I like to see such a thing.  Subversion has several
> instances of needing a temporary directory that's world-writable.

>>e.g. perl's CGI.pm which is used on many platforms uses this hardcoded
>>array where it then searches for the first writable directory (at
>>compile time)
>>
>>$SL = $CGI::SL;
>>$MAC = $CGI::OS eq 'MACINTOSH';
>>my ($vol) = $MAC ? MacPerl::Volumes() =~ /:(.*)/ : "";
>>     @TEMP=("${SL}usr${SL}tmp","${SL}var${SL}tmp",
>>	   "C:${SL}temp","${SL}tmp","${SL}temp",
>>	   "${vol}${SL}Temporary Items",
>>            "${SL}WWW_ROOT", "${SL}SYS\$SCRATCH",
>>	   "C:${SL}system${SL}temp");
>>     unshift(@TEMP,$ENV{'TMPDIR'}) if exists $ENV{'TMPDIR'};
>

> Wow, that's pretty cool.  Hey, if it works...

I cannot guarantee that this works everywhere, all I can say that CGI.pm
is a module used pretty much everywhere where perl runs. But wait, there
is more:

I see that CPAN has TempDir module which says:

   TempDir - Module to check the correct temporary directory
   in every OS supported by PERL

And I think Perl is running on the the same platforms as Apache does.

Also there is a core perl module File::Temp, which seems to do that and
much more.

>>of course if we can use existing library functions that would be more
>>portable I think.
>>
>>POSIX systems has tmpnam().
>>BSD 4.3 has tempnam().
>>That's all I know.
>

> I think these functions (at least tmpnam) are more about generating
> unique file -names- that won't clash with the other names generated by
> that function.  Unfortunately they won't give you a full path in a
> writable location or anything like that.

This one actually tries hard to handle this for you if you supply NULL
instead of dir.

        char *tempnam(const char *dir, const char *pfx);

DESCRIPTION
        The  tempnam() function returns a pointer to a string that
        is a valid filename, and such that a file with  this  name
        did not exist when tempnam() checked.  The filename suffix
        of the pathname generated will start with pfx in case  pfx
        is a non-NULL string of at most five bytes.  The directory
        prefix part of the pathname generated is  required  to  be
        `appropriate'  (often  that  at  least  implies writable).
        Attempts to find an appropriate directory go  through  the
        following  steps:  (i)  In  case  the environment variable
        TMPDIR exists and contains  the  name  of  an  appropriate
        directory, that is used.  (ii) Otherwise, if the dir argu­
        ment is non-NULL and appropriate, it is used.  (iii)  Oth­
        erwise,  P_tmpdir  (as  defined in <stdio.h>) is used when
        appropriate.   (iv)  Finally   an   implementation-defined
        directory may be used.
CONFORMING TO
        SVID 2, BSD 4.3