apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: atomics on solaris producing non-portable binaries
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:34:59 GMT
On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:14:19PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > Is there still a way we can (automatically) produce atomics code while
> > preserving backward compatibility? At least we should be portable based
> > on OS rev (eg. Solaris 5.6 builds of APR should run on every 5.6
> > machine out there).
>
> I don't know about automatic, but maybe some flag is needed to specify
> the architecture level we should enable?

I was thinking that we could determine what the lowest-supported
architecture was for each version of Solaris, and that would be the
ISA that would be passed as -xarch. (Having an override would be fine,
but I'm wholly against the building of non-portable binaries by default.)

I have no idea how to determine what the least supported arch is for
each version of Solaris, though.

-aaron