apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject atomics on solaris producing non-portable binaries
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:19:16 GMT
I've just come across a serious problem in the atomics autoconf
code. Since we are detecting which sparc architecture the build is
running on, and passing architecture-specific flags to the assembler,
we are producing binaries that aren't backward-compatible.

For example, I have a build of APR from an Ultra5 running Solaris 5.6
that produces sparcv8plus binaries. These binaries do not work on an
older SparcStation5 machine that is running Solaris 5.7.

Is there still a way we can (automatically) produce atomics code while
preserving backward compatibility? At least we should be portable based
on OS rev (eg. Solaris 5.6 builds of APR should run on every 5.6
machine out there).

-aaron