apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: expat config.*
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 21:14:00 GMT
On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 02:01:06PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> The reason we have local modifications is that we often support
> OSes that the GNU people do not yet support.  Most of the changes
> seem to be related to IBM platforms.  It would be best if our
> changes got merged in upstream.  Note that our changes are
> specifically under public domain - not under our traditional
> Apache License.

I'm not questioning the changes themselves, I'm questioning the legality
of distributing those modified versions. Obviously if the original
developers had accepted our changes this would not be an issue.

If the copyright holders of those files are content to let us make
those changes (clearly marked as with apr's copy of these files) and
then distribute the modified files with an exception to the GPL, that
is one thing. However, in the new config.guess/config.sub files checked
in for expat I'm not seeing even that notice.

-aaron