apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject UUID logic required in APR?
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 06:52:22 GMT
Do we really have to have the UUID functions in APR?  Could we move
them to apr-util?  (This would allows us to move md5 into apr-util
as well...)

It seems that getuuid.c could be rewritten to be more portable (i.e.
use apr_time_now, etc.).  The only catch seems to be the case where
APR_HAS_RANDOM is 0 - this causes the apr_uuid_get code to use lots
of non-portable code to achieve "randomness" that may not be
available via APR.

Could we just enforce APR_HAS_RANDOM in order to use this function?
(On systems without APR_HAS_RANDOM, apr_uuid_get wouldn't be
available.)  Or, would this be too painful?  If so, I could
resurrect my idea of an entropy gatherer in APR, but that's a *lot*
of work.  =/  -- justin