apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:30:25 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Marc M. Adkins wrote:

> Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?  It seems a reasonable
> addition, and I'm somewhat surprised to not see it yet.  Especially since
> Apache itself obviously does some amount of logging.
>
> If it's just a matter of finding someone with time and interest I might be
> willing to have a go at it.  Or is there a reason why this isn't supposed to
> be a part of the APR?

My personal opinion:

APR is a *portability* library.  If it's functionality not aimed at making
applications more portable (or a helper for such functionality, as with
pools and hash tables and similar low-level data structures), then it
doesn't belong in APR.  We made a conscious effort to avoid having APR
become the kitchen sink (though it seems APR-util has become the kitchen
sink instead :-/ ).  Anyway, AIUI, that's the reason logging remained in
Apache and didn't go into APR.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com