apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc M. Adkins" <Marc.M.Adk...@Doorways.org>
Subject RE: Logging
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:51:53 GMT
> > Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?
> > Or is there a reason why this isn't supposed to be a part of the APR?
>
> My personal opinion:
>
> APR is a *portability* library.  If it's functionality not aimed at making
> applications more portable (or a helper for such functionality, as with
> pools and hash tables and similar low-level data structures), then it
> doesn't belong in APR.  We made a conscious effort to avoid having APR
> become the kitchen sink (though it seems APR-util has become the kitchen
> sink instead :-/ ).  Anyway, AIUI, that's the reason logging remained in
> Apache and didn't go into APR.

I can respect that argument.  I had already noticed that the code I was
writing was different from the APR code body in the sense that it _used_ APR
but didn't have any platform-specific sections of its own.  I can always
develop what I want on top of APR (e.g. Log4APR) as a separate project.

However...having a nice base like APR I would like to develop tools on top
of it that might have general utility, if not be specifically targeted at
portability.  The idea being that if I'm using APR for development I would
like features X and Y and Z also, and I want them to work _with_ APR and
_using_ APR so that my hassles and code size are both minimized.

Just as there exists CPAN for Perl packages (and so on and so forth), might
there also (eventually) be a similar repository for APR packages?

Marc M. Adkins