apr-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Gross <christiangr...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: The APR
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:24:28 GMT
At 02:24 04/03/2002 -0800, Jason Filby wrote:
>Hi all
>
>This looks like quite an interesting project! But, I have a few
>questions:
>
>o How does the APR compare to the NSPR in terms of functionality? I
>remember reading that the NSPR had functions the APR team deemed
>unnecessary? Which functions were those?

NSPR and APR definitely have similarities.  But there are some slight
differences (for example thread pools in NSPR).  But which one is
better?  There is not one REALLY better in terms of functionality since
each has their strengths.  For example in APR you have pool based resource
management.  This is a boon for any programmer.

Ok I may be biased but I prefer APR.  I have used both extensively and find
that APR is just simpler to use and more productive.  For Apache
http://www.devspace.com/Technology/ApacheStuff.html and for NSPR
http://www.devspace.com/Technology/MozillaStuff.html.  Part of the problem
with NSPR is that its build process is too darn complicated and integrating
NSPR is not much fun.  Another problem with NSPR is that a few times I have
had conflicts with naming of NSPR data types.  This has never occured with
APR.

>o Is there some more documentation somewhere on what the various
>utilities in APR-UTIL are/do?

I named some references above.

Christian Gross