apr-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/dso/unix dso.c
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:37:02 GMT
On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 08:29:21PM +0000, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> It works, it works... I still didn't try it in production, but 2.0.32 was
> pretty stable (never got segfaults even with worker), on 10.1.3.

Awesome! Does OS X have its own pthread implementation (not based on
FreeBSD's)?

> The only "PITA" is locking, we'd really have to find an inter-process
> locking mechanism != from files under OS/X (file locking is _so_ slow!)

What are you using your interprocess lock for? We use file-based
locks by default because they are the most portable, but if we had
reason to believe that another method was better then we could
change the default on a platform-by-platform basis in autoconf.
APR locks support a bunch of different interprocess lock types.
(IME, pthread-based locks tend to be the fastest, but not many platforms
support that.)

-aaron