apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: The APR
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:11:17 GMT
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:24:09AM -0800, Jason Filby wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This looks like quite an interesting project! But, I have a few
> questions:
>
> o How does the APR compare to the NSPR in terms of functionality? I
> remember reading that the NSPR had functions the APR team deemed
> unnecessary? Which functions were those?
>
> o Is there some more documentation somewhere on what the various
> utilities in APR-UTIL are/do?

Christian has been talking up APR quite a bit, so I won't duplicate that
effort :-)

Regarding thread pools, you can certainly build those on *top* of APR. Since
APR has threads, a pool of them is just an application-level concept. Note
that Apache itself creates thread pools for request handling. When a request
comes in, it is passed to a thread to process.

Not a big deal, really. The fact that NSPR put it into their toolkit is a
bit strange, but I could see some advantages on some platforms (such as NT,
where it has some nifty APIs for thread pools).

I'll also point out that the Subversion version control system (see
http://subversion.tigris.org/) has also used APR as its basis for
portability. That project is nearly two years old now, and over 100k lines
of code. Not small potatoes :-)  The fact that we've used APR has saved our
butts. It is absolutely fantastic to be able to run on Unix systems,
Windows, BeOS, OS/2, etc ... and we don't have a single #ifdef in our code
for per-platform stuff (okay, well in one area to do some Windows registry
stuff).

APR has been a wonderful success story for Subversion.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/