apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Filby <jasonfi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The APR
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 18:09:47 GMT
--- Christian Gross <christiangross@yahoo.de> wrote:
>NSPR and APR definitely have similarities.  But there are some
>slight differences (for example thread pools in NSPR).  But which
>one is better?  There is not one REALLY better in terms of
>functionality since each has their strengths.  For example in APR
>you have pool based resource management.  This is a boon for any
>programmer.

Ok so APR doesn't have thread pools? Could this be implemented in the
future or doesn't the existing architecture allow for that?

>Ok I may be biased but I prefer APR.  I have used both extensively
>and find that APR is just simpler to use and more productive.

Thats certainly an important point.

>For Apache http://www.devspace.com/Technology/ApacheStuff.html and
>for NSPR http://www.devspace.com/Technology/MozillaStuff.html.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the MozillaStuff page?

>Part of the problem with NSPR is that its build process is too darn
>complicated and integrating NSPR is not much fun.  Another problem
>with NSPR is that a few times I have had conflicts with naming of
>NSPR data types.  This has never occured with APR.

Cool. Thing is, I'm toying with the idea of writing an OO DBMS. So
scalability and high performance are extremely important. Oracle uses
a portable runtime, btw, there's is called VOS (Virtual OS).

Thanks
- Jason