apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Logging
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:38:35 GMT
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Marc M. Adkins wrote:
>
> > Is there going to be any APR logging functionality?  It seems a
> reasonable
> > addition, and I'm somewhat surprised to not see it yet.  Especially
> since
> > Apache itself obviously does some amount of logging.
> >
> > If it's just a matter of finding someone with time and interest I
might
> be
> > willing to have a go at it.  Or is there a reason why this isn't
> supposed to
> > be a part of the APR?
>
> My personal opinion:
>
> APR is a *portability* library.  If it's functionality not aimed at
making
> applications more portable (or a helper for such functionality, as
with
> pools and hash tables and similar low-level data structures), then it
> doesn't belong in APR.  We made a conscious effort to avoid having APR
> become the kitchen sink (though it seems APR-util has become the
kitchen
> sink instead :-/ ).  Anyway, AIUI, that's the reason logging remained
in
> Apache and didn't go into APR.

I agree completely.  There is no reason to put logging into APR, it
isn't a portability problem.  It is simply a problem that many apps need
to solve.

If logging is an important problem to solve, and people want to do it,
then a separate project should be create (separate from APR IMO), to
create a logging API that uses APR.

Ryan