apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Atomic operations
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:36:50 GMT
Ian Holsman <ianh@apache.org> writes:

> hi.
> I would really like to get atomic operations into the APR.

sounds reasonable...

> so that leaves the others, which I'm sure have somthing like this.
> the alternative for non-native atomic support is a mutex or
> specifcying a --disable-smp on the command line for configure which
> will disable the mutex on single CPU boxes.
>
> what do you think guys??

I don't buy the --disable-smp argument.  The mutex (or the type of
serialization done by the CPU primitive) is also there to protect
against getting timesliced at an inopportune point in the update
sequence.  Otherwise another dispatchable unit can progress merrily
through the same update sequence and result in an inconsistent state
once the first dispatchable unit gets the CPU back and finishes the
sequence.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...