apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Atomic operations
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:16:30 GMT
hi.
I would really like to get atomic operations into the APR.

having atomic_add would allow nifty things like virtual-host stats,
and reference counting (among others)

I've noticed that linux supports them out of the box via
atomic_add in <asm/atomic.h>

NT has there version in Interlock...
GCC v3 also has gcc-3.0/include/g++-v3/sparcv9-sun-solaris2.8/bits
for solaris, so I'm assuming that everywhere GCC v3 has been ported it
will be available.

I remember the FreeBSD has something similiar

so that leaves the others, which I'm sure have somthing like this.
the alternative for non-native atomic support is a mutex or
specifcying a --disable-smp on the command line for configure which
will disable the mutex on single CPU boxes.

what do you think guys??

..Ian