apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Atomic operations
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:58:36 GMT
> hi.
> I would really like to get atomic operations into the APR.

++1, I haven't wanted this for a long time.

> so that leaves the others, which I'm sure have somthing like this.
> the alternative for non-native atomic support is a mutex or
> specifcying a --disable-smp on the command line for configure which
> will disable the mutex on single CPU boxes.

If we are on a platform that doesn't support atomic add/set, just do
what Windows does.  Namely, have a global mutex that is set for any
atomic add or set command.  The add/set is only atomic across other
threads/process using the same add/set functions, but that should be
good enough.

Ryan