apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: bug in apr_brigade.c
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:29:39 GMT
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> This type confusion just seems horrific.  I don't buy into this
> distinction at all.  An apr_off_t represents an offset into a file.
> apr_size_t should be the size of the bucket/brigade.  If we want
> to do it correctly, I'd say that brigade lengths should be 64-bit
> ints (apr_int64_t).

The apr_size_t versus apr_off_t distinction has always been a point of
internal contention for me.  On the one hand, I see the need to support
large files cleanly.  But size_t buckets in off_t brigades doesn't seem
particularly clean to me, either.  Sigh.

Just to stir things up, here's an idea.  [disclaimer: haven't thought this
all the way through, but it seems somewhat reasonable off the top of my
head]  What if we set the bucket -and- brigade size limit to be a size_t's
worth.  If you want to send a large file down the filter stack, you make
multiple calls down the filter stack, one apr_size_t's worth at a time.

Thoughts?

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com