apr-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: apr_strfsize cannot handle sizes bigger than a few MiBs without largefiles support
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:18:40 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>>So apr_strfsize is not a general purpose functions anymore, since it's
>>tied to files. Which means that we again need to reimplement it, if we
>>want to have a general purpose function for formatting sizes and handle
>>big files without imposing a LARGEFILES requirement.
>>

> No, it's an apr function.  But please consider the following;
>
> Can Apache handle the file you've just listed as 24KB instead of 4GB+24KB?
>
> No, of course not.  Nor could any program built with APR.
>
> I'd comprimize, if you like.  If we determine that this .size member
> is > MAX_APR_OFF_T, we set the size to MAX_APR_OFF_T.  In apr_strfsize,
> we replace that value MAX_APR_OFF_T with some hardcode, such as "Huge ",
> so folks don't go downloading it.

If I understand correctly this cannot happen, you have to cast the
argument to apr_off_t to get it accepted by the function, so it'll
overflow during the casting.

> If the filesystem doesn't handle it, I fail to see what benefit we get from
> displaying it.

But that's not the point. My point was that I cannot see from the name
strfsize that this function is tied to filesystem limits. why not call
it apr_file_strfsize? And let apr_strfsize accept bigger values without
any relation to filesystem limits.

e.g. I want to use strfsize to count money :)

> Unless you want to make apr_strfsize into something more generic, such as
> apr_format_brief_size_binary(), taking the hugest int we can pass it, and
> returning a binary metric NNNNm where m is a magnitude.  There wouldn't
> be any harm in that, someone could extend it to apr_format_brief_size_metric()
> for true decimal representations.  But apr_strfsize sure sounds like a
> filesystem API here :)

why stopping at int?

> BTW - the veto of changing the type of the dirent .size member from
> apr_off_t still stands.

Ok