apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr CHANGES STATUS
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:27:15 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Ian Holsman <ianh@apache.org> writes:
>

>>BTW turning on&off APR_POOL_DEBUG/
>>requires a recompile now as well, as other functions are not
>>defined like apr_pool_join.
>>

>>>Why can't APR_POOL_DEBUG do what it used to do (relatively quick to
>>>switch on and off) and some other define (APR_POOL_DEBUG_VERBOSE
>>>perhaps?) switch to saving __FILE__ and __LINE__?
>>>

> Put it another way...  what is the value add I get in return for
> having to recompile everything?

first of all APR_POOL_DEBUG before this patch required a recompile.
this is due to the apr_pool_join & apr_pool_lock functions defined
in the header react differently according to this flag.

I agree that just being able to switch to a malloc/free allocator
and use things like efence/purify is useful, and the flag for this
should be defined iin apr_pools.c itself.

> Why couldn't the complete recompile be saved for folks that want
> APR_POOL_DEBUG_VERBOSE?

seems like we need 3 defines

1. APR_USE_MALLOC -- for things like efence/purify
2. APR_MIDWAY -- for things like apr_pool_join/lock/line#s etc
3. APR_VERBOSE -- which dumps the stuff out to a log file.

2/3 are the ones which require a recompile of everything.