apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Time funniness between HPUX and everyone else
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 22:59:42 GMT
Jon Travis wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:39:56PM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
>
>>Jon Travis wrote:
>>
>>>BTW, note the huge comment in unix/time.c:apr_unix_time_setup()
>>>which says that this (* broken) implementation is what was wanted.
>>>
>>Yes, in the sense that it produces the same results that we had back
>>when we were doing the GMT offset within get_offset().  I just ran
>>your test case on Solaris 2.8, and it produces the same results as
>>HP-UX--both with the latest unix/time.c and with the last version
>>(rev 1.51) from before the GMT offset computation was moved into
>>apr_unix_time_setup().
>>

>So, you're just saying that it is just as broken as it was before the
>change in 1.52?

Right.  Basically, that field has different semantics on HP-UX and Solaris
than it has on Linux.  That doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the
time manipulation code, although the fact that the field is part of the
publicly visible apr_time API is bad for portability.  I'm in favor of
making the semantics consistent across all platforms (e.g., using the
Netware approach as you described) if it can be done without breaking
anything else.

--Brian