apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: random number generation
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:14:32 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 03:02:47PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > I know you'd like to wave a magic APR entropy wand and instantly have
> > enough entropy for SSL (or whatever), but I'm afraid it just isn't
> > generally possible. Being sure that you have provided sufficient
> > entropy[1] will get you, I guarantee, a zillion queries along the lines
> > of "I started httpd, but it hangs forever when I try to access secure
> > pages, why?" - in fact, unless you jump through hoops, it'll hang
> > forever for all pages on some systems (coz you'll have to gather the
> > entropy before forking).
>
> A few comments:
>
> 1) I believe we would only use apr_generate_random_bytes in the
> initialization of mod_ssl.  So, the time delays will only occur
> on startup or restart.  I believe this delay will be minimum (it
> would be similar to the delay of OpenSSH on these platforms).
> I see that mod_ssl tries to seed the PRNG in the pre_connection
> hook?  Is it really necessary to reseed it each time?  (Or, does

It isn't necessary, but it is certainly a good option to provide.

> OpenSSL require constant reseeding?  I haven't seen any notes to
> that effect in the documentation.)  The OpenSSH code has timeouts
> (~200msec per command) to ensure that the entropy gathering does
> not take an infinite amount of time.  If the entropy is not enough,
> it will error out with: "not enough entropy in RNG."

And fail to serve the page. Is this good? I don't know, but its
certainly correct.

> 2) I believe the OpenSSH approach would provide infinitely better
> entropy than the current BUILTIN model that mod_ssl uses.  Ideally,
> the user may have an EGD-compatible program, but that is not
> normally the case.  I am also hesitant to rely on PRNGd as I believe
> that may give us *more* problems than doing it internally ("what?  I
> have to start this program first?").

I have no comment on BUILTIN (coz I haven't looked at it), but I'll note
that I don't provide it in Apache-SSL. :-)

> 3) My apr_generate_random_bytes preference would be:
> 1) /dev/[u]random
> 2) PRNGd / EGD (they are socket-compatible)
> 3) Fallback internal (on the model of OpenSSH)
>
> > As is so often the case with security, "easy" and "good" appear to be
> > incompatible, sadly.
>
> Other projects such as OpenSSH seem to have attempted to solve this
> problem.  There is only a certain amount of entropy that can be
> gathered without kernel support.  However, I believe that having
> an internal entropy gathering would provide better entropy than is
> currently achieved by the haphazard BUILTIN code.  I am not suggesting
> that it is better than having a true /dev/[u]random or even PRNGd -
> in the ideal world, all systems have /dev/[u]random.  That isn't the
> case.  APR should be dealing with the real world.
>
> As OtherBill mentioned, it would be nice if OpenSSL could handle
> this, but it doesn't.  So, I believe we need to address this problem
> in APR.  Since httpd and flood both have this issue (and to some
> extent SVN), it seems best to address it at the portability layer
> instead of in each program (otherwise, we'll have a tremendous amount
> of code duplication).
>
> At this point, I'll translate their code over and see how it works
> in practice.  I would be curious to see how Covalent's SSL engine
> (based on RSA) handles non-/dev/[u]random platforms.  -- justin

OK. I'd also suggest that we want something along these lines:

a) A directive to set the minimum amount of entropy at startup
b) A directive to set the amount of entropy to attempt to add on each
connection
c) A directive to set a timeout on per-connection entropy

If things work out, I'd be inclined to move the improved seeding code
into OpenSSL, but its probably easier to start with it in Apache!

Cheers,

Ben.