apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: apr_date's functions corrupt the caller's data.
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 06:20:07 GMT
On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:45:16PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> yes, but the documentation doesn't note this. Does this mean that any
> API that doesn't specify const, is free to change the data without
> saying so?

In theory, yes.  But, it *should* be noted in the documentation as
well.  Please feel free to submit a patch to fix that.  However,
the real thing to do is to make it so that it doesn't need to
modify the char* or make it copy when it sees the odd formats.

> Also I think the docs are wrong. the functions return the number of
> seconds and not micro-seconds:
>
>  * @return the apr_time_t number of microseconds since 1 Jan 1970 GMT, or
>  *         0 if this would be out of range or if the date is invalid.

It returns usecs not seconds.  None of the apr functions use
seconds.  I'm not sure how you see that it returns seconds.

> >>This code also could corrupt the data:
> >>
> >>       if ((date = strchr(date, ' ')) == NULL)   /* Find space after
> >>weekday */
> >>           return APR_DATE_BAD;
> >>
> >>this one happens in _http version as well.
> >>

> >Do you have any thoughts on how to resolve this?  We are assuming
> >that we're working with a valid string.  It'll stop at a term
> >NULL.  If you pass in a non-NULL terminated string, too bad, IMHO.
>

> I dunno, I think that the moment you want to modify a string you have to
> copy it.

This has nothing to do with modifying the string.  We want to
change the local pointer to point *after* the space.  This eases the
later compuations.  I think the strchr is safe in this context.

> I build with --enable-maintainer-mode, which enables  '-g -O2 ...'.
> Could it be a problem of -O2?

Yes.  I compile with "-g -Wall" - O2 turns on optimizations and
makes stuff like this awful to debug.  Compiling without that O2
should make the gdb debugging easier.  -- justin