apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/threadproc/win32 proc.c
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:50:19 GMT
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:52:03PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

It wouldn't really be simpler. If somebody accidentally passes NULL for the
env and it copies the environment down... oops. Security issue. In Apache,
we've taken some pains to limit the environment passed down to children.

But it would also open up a combination that isn't possible --
APR_PROGRAM_PATH with env==[...]. In words that is, "search for the program
on PATH, and here is the environment to use." That combination isn't
available on Unix, at least.

The enumerated type gives us the ability to specify the exact combinations
that are allowed to callers.

When I went in there and saw some sort of interpretation of env==NULL, I was
pretty surprised confused. That behavior certainly was not documented in the
header file. Having a little automagic copying of the environment isn't
necessarily a good thing in the apache world. IMO, that env==NULL behavior
should be axed and the inherit of the env should be made explicit.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/