apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: types for bucket/brigade sizes (was: Re: bug in apr_brigade.c)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:35:03 GMT
On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:29:50PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> In one of the other emails that I sent on the bucket/brigade stuff, I
> explicitly stated that read() would return an apr_size_t. You simply cannot
> return more than that.

Yes, I read that other email after I replied.  =)  But, we are in
complete agreement here.

> Like today, it would split itself, and return a portion.

Exactly.

> > I will take a pass at seeing how hard this would be to implement
> > this weekend.  -- justin
>
> "this" being the new types?

Yes.

> I'd recommend a first pass where you add the new types. We can then set the
> types to apr_uint8 and do a full compile. Then set them to apr_uint64 and do
> a full compile. And then mix/match them :-)

Hehe.  Sure.  I expect that wrowe would also have to compile it on
Win32 - I don't have access to that notoriously iffy compiler.  =)

> The warnings/errors discovered will tell us a bundle... It will tell us
> where we're mixing them inappropriately, and where we're making assumptions
> about certain sizes.

Lots of places are casting to check for -1.  We'll have to see how to
handle all of those cases.  It'd be goodness if we could have a
defined way to check for unknown bucket lengths without the casting
to "add" a sign.  Thoughts?

I expect this to take a bit to straighten out.  I'm going to try to
clear out my current patch queue first (mod_auth_db, ap_getline,
etc.) and then turn my focus onto the bucket sizes.  -- justin